Sooooo, I decided to let Arlo have a little fun while we made some cookies yesterday......I think it's safe to say he enjoyed himself! Our kitchen might be permanently covered in flour but meh, it was worth it. Anyways, I was searching for a cookie recipe that didn't use any processed sugar and came across a carrot-apple oatmeal cookie that sounded pretty good so we gave it a go. The only thing that makes these cookies sweet is the grated apple, smashed banana and about a 1/2 cup of honey. They are surprisingly good! I think the next time I make them I would maybe add some shredded coconut or a bit more apple than the recipe calls for just to make them a touch sweeter, but regardless they got Arlo's seal of approval. (find recipe below)
Apple & Carrot Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup – oats, dry
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1 large – egg
- 1/3 cup – coconut oil
- 1/4 cup – honey
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated – carrot
- 1 cup, grated – apple
- 1 medium – banana
- 1/3 cup – chocolate chips, semisweet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with grease-proof paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate smaller bowl beat the egg. Add the melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract and stir well. Add this mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the grated carrot, grated apple and mashed banana and again stir until everything is well mixed together. If using the chocolate chips, add now.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch sized balls. The dough should make approximately 20 balls. Place each on the cookie sheet and press down lightly with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.